As a Chief Engineer for TopHat you will provide direction to the team of Process Engineers and Maintenance Technicians and provide support/guidance to other team members (e.g. Purchasing, HR). You will also support the Operations Manager to continually improve our processes and methods in Production
The main duties and responsibilities of the role will include:
- Oversee the commissioning/testing of product using existing plant and equipment
- Maintain the development and installing of plant control systems
- Lead the prototype home builds and ensure Process Engineers and production crews are completely familiar with product range
- Make recommendations to improve prototype build by conducting trials, testing samples, determining costs, and documenting results
- Establish current and accurate manufacturing specifications/SOPs by compiling and maintaining product and process information including Engineering Drawing systems
- Provide detailed analysis and design of assembly processes that accurately reflect product drawings, specifications and manufacturing considerations
- Establish detailed and accurate production processes based on project schedules and specifications/design variances
- Liaise with TopHat (Design and Sales) and Derby team to enable optimum and most cost-effective production solutions
- Compile design reports and other engineering documentation
- Ensure process control functional specifications and process flow diagrams are produced
- Manage overall project results, timing and costs i.e. for prototype and actual builds
- Ensure an effective system of testing/fault identification is in place to rectify faults speedily and make changes required
- Solicit and regularly report recommendations of best practice or alternative processes and identify opportunities for continuous improvements by reducing cycle times, process variations, defects, set up times etc
- Ensure completed modules are delivered within specified timeframes
- Train and develop on-site team to high level of competence
- Create quality supporting data to demonstrate productivity, manning and throughput
- Keep abreast of current industry practice, new equipment etc
- Lead and support improvement projects using LEAN deployment, 5S, 6S and Continuous Improvement
- Establish manuals and SOPs to ensure compliance with all statutory HSE requirements and related TopHat specific initiatives
- Ensure maintenance schedules are produced and implemented for new equipment.
- Overall responsibility for the maintenance and upkeep of the entire Derby site, including non-production areas.
The ideal candidate will possess as a minimum, an HND/HNC in mechanical/electrical/aerospace engineering, along with extensive experience in the Production/Process Engineering sector preferably in modular buildings. Experience in a low volume complex manufacturing environment is also desirable/a suitable substitute for modular experience.
You will have a proven track record in process design with the ability to design a robust production process capable of meeting volume targets and quality/cost/delivery measures and previous involvement in leading NIP and NPD processes.
The ideal candidate will also possess:
- A good understanding of 5S, Lean/6 Sigma and Continuous Improvement
- People management and good team leadership skills
- Excellent IT skills and knowledge and practical experience of CAD
- Experience of PFMEA and Control Plans
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Strong numerical, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong commercial awareness
- Sound data driven decision making skills
- Is not knocked off balance by ambiguity uncertainty and change
- Ability to self-motivate against demanding targets and tight deadlines
- Can demonstrate TopHat values
- Ability to understand and interpret technical drawings
- A proven track record in process design with the ability to design a robust production process capable of meeting volume targets and quality/cost/delivery measures
- Previous involvement in NIP and NPD processes.
Applying for a Position
This is a full-time position and is based at TopHat, Park Avenue, Dove Valley Park, Foston, Derby, DE65 5BT.
To apply for a position, download and complete the below application form and email this, or, simply email a copy of your CV with a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Don’t forget, ensure you clearly state which position (Chief Engineer) you’re applying for. By submitting an application, you are agreeing to our job application privacy notice.
By submitting an application, you agree with the below statements and provide your consent to TopHat for the use of your data as per these statements:
- I hereby freely give TopHat consent to use and process my personal data included in this job application.
- I accept that I have read and agree to our job application privacy notice.
- In giving my consent, I understand that I can ask to see this data to check its accuracy at any time via a subject access request (SAR).
- I understand that I can ask for a copy of my personal data held about me at any time, and this request is free of charge.
- I understand that I can request that data that is no longer required to be held, can be removed from my file and destroyed.
- I understand that if I am unsuccessful with my application my data will be destroyed after 6 months.
- I understand that if I am dissatisfied with how my company uses my data I can make a complaint to the government body in charge at www.ICO.org.uk or write to email@example.com